Akadeemilise Usuteadlaste Seltsi fotoalbum
AbstractPhoto album of the
Academic Society of Theologians
The Academic Society of Theologians was active at the University
of Tartu from 1921 to 1940. It united the majority of UT Faculty
of Theology’s students and alumni, Estonian clergy of the Lutheran
church and all other interested parties across the land.
Members of the Society participated in the work of a committee
created at the Faculty of Theology and intended for preparing terms
in the field of theology. In 1933 to 1940 the Society published the
Usuteadusline Ajakiri (Journal on Theology), as well as books. In
1926 to 1940 members participated in registering religious memorials
across Estonia. They reviewed the archives and inventory lists
of churches. Details of the exterior and interior design, construction
materials, time of construction and other important details of church
buildings were recorded. Drawings, copies, photographs were made.
Inscriptions on tomb stone were copied, drawings were made of the
types of funerary markers. The orientation of churches and chapels
in view of cardinal points was measured.
The Academic Society of Theologians ended its activity in connection
to the dissolution of the Faculty of Theology in August 1940.
The album that was donated to the museum in 1996 contains 48
photographs mainly from the 1930s. All people in the photographs
have been identified.